History of our Fair
1858 to the Present
On October 15, 1858, a few settlers gathered in the home of E.B. Newton to organize the Guthrie County Agricultural Society. Along with that organization came the first fair, which was held in Guthrie Center east of the City Park. With the outstanding atendance at the annual fair, a tract of land just west of the river was purchased from William Tracy. This is still the current location of the fairgrounds. Fences, buildings, and a half-mile track were built just in time for the spectacular 1885 fair. Entertainment consisted of acrobatic acts, patriotic fireworks, horse and mule races, foot races, healthy baby contests, displays from the rural schools, and baseball.
Fashion has changed, modes of transportation have changed, but the Guthrie County Fair is still a highly anticipated event for our county.